The RN Initial Registration Application is for:
- all registered nurses who are currently registered elsewhere in Canada and who wish to register with the RNANT/NU for the first time, and
- Canadian nurse graduates who wish to register with the RNANT/NU for the first time.
Please note: It is a registration violation to be employed in the NT and/or NU as a registered nurse without a valid license to practice in the NT and/or NU. This includes any orientation to an individual's role as an RN, as well as the completion of any employer requirements.
A $65.63 processing fee is charged to an applicant's credit card upon receipt of the payment authorization form. This payment authorization form is required to begin processing an application. Other documents (e.g., verification letters, references, etc.) are added to an applicant's file as they are received at the office. When all required documents are received, the Registrar reviews the entire application for registration eligibility and approval.
Once an application is approved by the Registrar, the applicant is contacted by phone or email. Approved applications are valid for six months from the date the application is submitted and the processing fee taken. After six months, the applicant is required to submit a new application.
If you have any questions regarding the RN Initial Registration Application process, please contact the Registration Coordinator.
To apply for an initial registration as an RN with the RNANT/NU for the 2017 Membership Year, the following items are required:
4. Identification - A copy of valid government (federal or territorial) issued photo ID. The ID must include photo, signature, and expiry date.
5. Verification of Registration Request from your original jurisdiction (where you wrote your entry-to-practice exam) and all jurisdictions in which you are currently or formerly registered.
6. 2018 Transcript Request Form (a requirement for new graduates only, if not previously submitted for a temporary certificate)
7. Evidence of successfully passing an entry-to-practice exam accepted by the RNANT/NU (this requirement generally applies to new graduates only).
8. Verification of Education and/or Graduation (a requirement for new graduates outside of the NT/NU, if not previously submitted for a temporary certificate). This verification is submitted directly to the RNANT/NU from the licensing body of the jurisdiction where an applicant completed their education program.
Employer Reference: Two Form A - Employer Reference Forms are required, one from each of your two most recent employers in the past five years. If you were employed by only one employer for the last five years or more, we only require a reference from that one employer. Please ensure you have worked a minimum of 300 hours with the employer you have requested provide you a reference.
Colleague Reference: If you have less than five years work experience as an RN and have had only one employer, please have Form B - Colleague Reference Form submitted in addition to your employer reference form.
Colleague Reference: If you have only been self-employed as an RN, please have two Form B - Colleague Reference Forms submitted.
New Graduate: New graduate applicants must have Form C - Instructor Reference Form submitted. This form is to be completed and submitted by a nursing faculty member from the applicant's school of nursing.
10. 2018 Information Sharing Consent Form (this form is optional and is used to grant permission to give updates on an applicant's registration status to their NT and/or NU employer)