The NP Initial Registration Application is for:
- all nurse practitioners who are currently registered elsewhere in Canada and who wish to register with the RNANT/NU for the first time,
- individuals who are registered as registered nurses with the RNANT/NU and who wish to register as an NP for the first time, and
- graduates of a Canadian NP program who wish to register with the RNANT/NU for the first time.
Please note: It is a registration violation to be employed in the NT and/or NU as a registered nurse or nurse practitioner without a valid license to practice in the NT and/or NU. This includes any orientation to an individual's role as an RN or NP, as well as the completion of any employer requirements.
All forms are now in fillable PDF documents.
A $65.63 processing fee is charged to an applicant's credit card upon receipt of the payment authorization form. This payment authorization form is required to begin processing an application. Other documents (e.g., verification letters, references, etc.) are added to an applicant's file as they are received at the office. When all required documents are received, the Registrar reviews the entire application for registration eligibility and approval.
Once an application is approved by the Registrar, the applicant is contacted by phone or email. Approved applications are valid for six months from the date the application is submitted and the processing fee taken. After six months, the applicant is required to submit a new application.
If you have any questions regarding the NP Registration Application Process, please contact the Registration Coordinator.
To apply for an initial registration as an NP with the RNANT/NU for the 2019 Membership Year, the following items are required:
4. Identification - A copy of valid government (federal or territorial) issued photo ID. The ID must include photo, signature, and expiry date. (Fax is not accepted for Photo ID's)
5. Verification Request from your original jurisdiction (where you wrote your entry-to-practice exam) and all jurisdictions in which you are currently or formerly registered to be sent directly to RNANT/NU.
6. 2019 Transcript Request Form (a requirement for new graduates only, if not previously submitted for a temporary certificate)
7. Recommendation form Graduate Nurse (a requirement for new graduates).
8. Evidence of successfully passing an entry-to-practice exam accepted by the RNANT/NU (this requirement generally applies to new graduates only).
9. Evidence of successful completion of one of the following prescribing controlled drugs and substances courses as indicated in the RNANT/NU Policy R2 Nurse Practitioner Requirements under section 2(g). If the course was not completed as part of your NP program (on your official transcript), a copy of the ceritificate or the official transcript which shows course completion is required.